The AFCON quarter-finals seem to be salvaged after a disaster.
This Sunday’s game at Olembe Stadium has been changed to be played at the Ahmadou Ahidjo Stadium in Yaounde following yesterday’s stampede incident, killing 8.
The event took place over the Cameroon/Comoros matchup, as an excess of 50,000 was said to try to enter for the match. The stadium is said to hold up to 60,000, however, the limit had been set to 80% capacity due to the pandemic.
The stampedes fatalities included two children ages 8 and 14, while an estimated 40 were injured. According to the regional governor, Naseri Paul Biya, it could be more cases as the story unfolds.
FIFA’s governing body, as well as the Confederation of African Football, sent their condolences to the families of the victims. President Patrice Motsepe visited injured supporters in the hospital, citing that they must take responsibility and action on the matter, for the betterment of the venue and fans alike.
Cameroon’s Minister of Public Health, Manaouda Malachie tweeted in a lengthy statement: “Stay strong!”, telling all to show compassion for the victims.
Everton followed suit sending prayers to all affected by the incident.
Following a 2-1 victory, Cameroon is to face The Gambia this Saturday, as the near future of the tournament at Olembe is unknown.
The stadium is currently still due to host a semi-final and the Nations Cup final game on Sunday, February 6th.